Hi! Welcome to my blog. My name is Ashley. I just turned 40, and I am training for my first marathon this year. I have run three half marathons, three 190-mile relay races, and a whole host of 12k, 10k, and 5ks over the last few years, yet, I don't consider myself a runner. I am hoping that through my training for a marathon I will (in my mind) achieve runner status. My plan is to write about my training and transformation so please follow along with me in what will be undeniably a fun, emotional, challenging, and life changing experience!

Monday, January 24, 2011

My First Run

Today I persevered!  My first official training run was just a little 3 miler, but the bad news was I had to do it on the dreadmill!  I absolutely detest running on those things, but that was really my only option since I didn't have childcare, and I wasn't motivated enough to go to the gym.  So, anyway, I hook my daughter up to a movie on the desktop computer in the other room while I hook myself up the laptop with a past TV episode of "House" (that I am trying to get caught up on), and I jump on board.

As soon as I started the machine, my daughter ran in to see what the commotion was.  She was scared of the noise, and couldn't here her movie.  So.... I jumped off the machine and went to turn her movie up a little.

I get back on.

I run for a couple of minutes and my dog starts barking very loudly.  I thought it was probably just a package being delivered, but I jumped off the machine to make sure my daughter wasn't in danger or something unexpected like that.  Yep, a fed ex man was walking away from the porch.

I go back.

I start the machine up again and I run for about 5 consecutive minutes, and then I realize that the heater is cranked up and I am sweating to death.  I could have kept going but I jump off to get some water and turn the heat down.  I don't want my first official marathon training run to be too miserable, you know!

I bring back a water bottle and start pounding away.

A few minutes pass and a big honkin' spider comes crawling out of one of the slider control slots on the top of the machine.  I get slightly creeped out because the treadmill has been in the garage for a year, and I was envisioning one spider after another after another crawling out of it's cool, dark home to relocate to a new cooler and darker home now that I had taken over theirs.  Thankfully, nothing of the sorts happened so I smashed the one spider with the bottom of my water bottle.  At this point, I'm so glad I had in fact interrupted my run to retrieve a water bottle because not only did I get cooled off, I was able to use it as a weapon.

I am getting into a groove at this point and the mileage and minutes are accumulating.

I think I am surely home free.  However, that's not the case. My daughter comes running back in to tell me her show is over and she wants another one.  I try to redirect her, but she insisted that it happen "RIGHT NOW" in her sweet, little, demanding-three-year-old way.  I really didn't want to finish my run with a tantruming three year old at my side so, I hopped off one last time to appease her - I figure I can't possibly get anymore interruptions or make these three miles stretch out any longer than they already are.

And I didn't.  I completed my three miler in just under 40 minutes!!  That's perseverance!  (not really my idea of perseverance, but it is what it is, nonetheless!)

No comments:

Post a Comment