Hi! Welcome to my blog. My name is Ashley. I just turned 40, and I am training for my first marathon this year. I have run three half marathons, three 190-mile relay races, and a whole host of 12k, 10k, and 5ks over the last few years, yet, I don't consider myself a runner. I am hoping that through my training for a marathon I will (in my mind) achieve runner status. My plan is to write about my training and transformation so please follow along with me in what will be undeniably a fun, emotional, challenging, and life changing experience!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Wannabe Runner

Yep, you read that title right ~ I'm a wannabe runner.  I've been running the last 3 1/2 years and I've completed quite a few races (half marathons and relay races included), but I just don't consider myself a runner.

I run....... but I'm not a runner.

There's a difference.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and it comes down to what my perception of a "runner" is compared to what my perception of myself is.  When I think of a runner, I think:  dedication. commitment. power. perseverance. pain. gain. physique. lifestyle. devotion. etc.   And when I think of myself, I don't think of those things -- not as a whole package anyway.  Sure, I have perseverance when I'm at mile 9 of a half marathon with 4.1 miles to go and I'm hitting a wall, and sure I am dedicated once I register for a race; but as far as putting all these traits together and living by them day to day, that's not where I'm at, but that's where I want to be.

The truth of the matter is, I have been skating along these last few races.  My goal has simply been to finish.  I don't really train to get better, faster, or stronger.  I think the races have become social outings for me, and when I'm training with my moms in motion team, I get to get out of the house once or twice a week to run with friends.  That in in of itself is the motivation behind registering for races.  I haven't really been concerned with becoming a better runner with each race.  It all hit me this last year after I ran the Leavenworth 1/2 marathon.  I actually PR'd on that race by about 12 or 13 minutes and even though I walked in a couple of places.  I wasn't adequately prepared for the race because I hadn't adequately trained, and yet I still managed to shave almost a minute per mile off my time.  What kind of PR would I have had had I taken my training more seriously? I think a real runner would have PR'd quite a bit more.  A real runner would have put in the work.  A real runner would have been more dedicated and would have gained more power to persevere through the pain.  A real runner would have gained.  A real runner is devoted to the lifestyle of it all, and that's the difference between someone like myself who merely runs and someone who is a runner.

3 comments:

  1. you are totally a runner. i guess it's all relative. but i don't know what PR means? i am registered for a whopping 5k in 2 weeks - maybe your blog will inspire me? i haven't trained at all! no pressure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU, my friend, are a runner! - Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. tamerlane - PR means personal record so when you are a "real runner", you are always trying to beat your own PR!!

    thanks, Yvonne! i really feel like i just go through the motions, and i don't get any better. i am hoping to change that this year though! thanks for all your support and encouragement over the last few years! it's all of you MIMs that keep me going!

    ReplyDelete